Car Insurance | Auto Insurance
All licensed drivers require car insurance (auto insurance) to legally operate a vehicle in Canada. To help ensure you are properly protected with broad coverages at a consistently low rate, contact a Marsh Canada risk advisor. In 2018, 40.11% of individuals asking us for a car insurance quote or home insurance quote followed through and bought their insurance through us. This is a statistic that we’re certainly proud of in an extremely competitive insurance environment and gives you an idea just how easy it is to ask for a car insurance quote and how many people we’re able to help protect every year.
WITH MARSH’S PRIVATE CLIENT SERVICES, YOU CAN:
GET CAR INSURANCE QUOTES:
1 877 476 6727
Our licensed insurance brokers are ready to assist with your insurance needs.
SUBMIT YOUR EXPIRY DATES ONLINE:
Never miss an opportunity to save — we’ll contact you approximately 30-45 days before your next renewal.
Rates change frequently and vary widely from insurer to insurer. Variable factors such as the type of car you drive, where you reside, your age, your sex, number of recent traffic infractions, and even how much you drive are all part of the car insurance quote calculation. However, insurers assign differing rating values to your personal data. For this reason, it’s important to compare rates often with current car insurance quote. Let us be your risk advisor of choice.
Marsh’s Private Client Services (PCS) is a licensed insurance broker with more than 40,000 clients across Canada. PCS is also the administrator of approximately 250 group home and auto insurance programs and an operating practice of Marsh Canada Limited. Marsh Canada has approximately 1,100 colleagues in 13 cities across Canada. Marsh is a global leader in insurance broking and risk management.
With PCS, you have access to a team of knowledgeable and experienced insurance brokers, readily available to help you determine your home and auto coverage requirements.
PCS offers the strength and stability of a national company with a commitment to professional and personalized service — let us help with your next car insurance quote.
Car Insurance Coverages Available
- Third-Party Liability – Covers damage to a third party’s property and bodily injury to a third party.
- Accident Benefits/Loss of Income – The governments of every province require that car owners purchase insurance for their own medical costs and possible loss of income as a result of driving injuries.
- Collision – Covers damage to your car.
- Comprehensive – Protects against fire, theft, vandalism, and other insured perils.
- Loss of Use – This insurance covers the cost of a rental vehicle while your own vehicle is being repaired after an insured loss. Coverage is to the specified limits of your insurance.
- Legal Liability For Non-Owned Automobiles – This coverage option extends the collision portion of your existing auto policy to another vehicle.
- Optional Accident Forgiveness – This is an insurance option usually only available to highly-rated drivers with good driving histories. It generally protects your auto insurance coverage and allows for your first at-fault accident to be forgiven in terms of any rating changes.
- Minor Conviction Rating Waiver – This coverage allows for a minor conviction to be removed from consideration when calculating your insurance premium. Please note that this coverage only pertains to your future car insurance quotes. It does not apply to your government driving record. Not available in all provinces.
- Waiver of Depreciation – Allows for new car replacement when automobile is less than a certain age (e.g. in most cases 24-36 months or newer, but sometimes up to five years) when declared a total loss after an accident.
- Business Use of Vehicle – Ensures you are properly insured if you use your vehicle for business purposes.
Of the coverages offered, only Third-Party Liability and Accident Benefits/Loss of Income are required by law in Canada. In terms of the most recommended car insurance coverage, consumers usually purchase Collision and Comprehensive insurance after requesting their car insurance quote.
Desirable Auto Insurance Features
- Rewards Programs – Remember to register for any rewards plans when eligible. Since you have to pay your insurance premiums anyways, receiving Air Miles or other loyalty program incentives is a plus.
- No Fee Payment Plan – Some insurers will offer the option of paying for your insurance premiums monthly or at some other interval without additional cost. Take advantage of this feature if it helps you with budgeting. Pre-approved payments will also help avoid late fees and negative credit ratings if a payment is forgotten.
- Flexibility in Payment Options – If particular payment options are preferred, look for insurers who allow you to pay by credit card, debit, money orders, or cheques.
- Claims Service Guarantee – Insurers like to claim that their claims services are superior to those of their competitors. Some insurers go as far as offering a claims service guarantee to their customers. A quick response to requests for claims help is always one of the most desirable auto insurance features.
- Single Deductible For Losses – This feature is useful when a loss affects both your home and auto policy. If for example your garage collapsed on your car, you would only be obligated to pay one deductible for both the home and auto repairs. This feature is only available when specified in the policy and both home and auto policies are purchased from the same insurer.
- Bonus Services – Legal information services, babysitting, homemaking/nursing, and online referral services are some of the “bonus” services available free of charge to clients of certain insurance companies. Ask your insurance broker for more information if these services are of value to you — often their inclusion will not affect your car insurance quote, if you choose the appropriate insurer.
- Preferred Auto Repair Shops – Having your choice of repair facilities is a desirable feature for many car owners.
More than ever, the most successful auto insurance programs are designed to accommodate a client’s desire for benefits beyond the scope of normal insurance. Make a list of your desirable auto insurance features and ask your broker which insurer can best accommodate them within your car insurance quote.
Maximizing Discounts - A Key To Cheap Auto Insurance Rates
Consumers on the lookout for a cheap car insurance quote should remember that insurers offer auto insurance discounts for specific coverage characteristics that they feel will lessen risk. These discounts are not offered universally by all insurers, nor are identical discount rates provided from insurer-to-insurer. As this is the case, you are best served by working with an experienced broker who can find you the best car insurance quote available that incorporates all of the premium discounts that you are eligible for. Auto insurance discounts are usually what constitute the difference between cheap car insurance and the cheapest car insurance. Common discounts available from insurers include, but are not limited to:
- Anti-Theft Device Discount – Having a functioning anti-theft device installed in your vehicle not only helps deter would-be thieves, but also helps to reduce your car insurance quote.
- Loyalty Discount – Insurers often reward clients who continue to purchase insurance from them year-after-year. The discount will vary as will the threshold for qualifying for the discount.
- Group Program Discount – Employees of certain companies and members of some associations are eligible for preferred group rates for auto and residential insurance. Call your PCS broker to see if your organization currently participates. Have an organization with more than 250 full-time employees or members? Ask about a group program for your company. A cheap car insurance quote usually comes from preferred group rates.
- Experienced Driver Discount – Insurers often allow a discount for drivers with a certain number of years of driving experience.
- Mature Driver Discount – To qualify for this discount, you need to reach a certain age. It varies by insurer, so make sure your broker checks which insurer recognizes you as eligible for this discount and a cheap car insurance quote.
- Multivehicle Discount – Insure more than one vehicle to qualify for this discount and cheaper car insurance quote.
- Short Commute Discount – Commuting shorter distances generally correlates to less risk as you are physically driving less. Insurers can therefore afford to offer a discount for this behaviour.
- Multi-Policy Discount – This is generally one of the best discounts offered. Insure your home and auto with the same insurer and substantial discounts will be available on each policy. Some insurers will even offer this type of discount in good faith if your expiry dates for home and auto insurance don’t match and you agree to move coverage later in the year.
- Conviction Free Discount – Good driving behaviour (and consequently a good driving record) is rewarded by insurers with cheap insurance.
- Winter Tire Discount – Use this discount to help offset the cost of purchasing and installing your winter tires. You can drive safer and get cheap car insurance rates at the same time.
- Monitored Driving Discount – Some insurers offer an additional discount for allowing them to monitor your driving for a set period of time. In some cases, this monitoring can be accomplished with little effort involved through a smartphone app.
Over time, your situation may change and you may become eligible for discounts that you did not previously have access to. Obtaining a cheap car insurance quote means having your broker review your insurance coverage regularly to apply any new auto insurance discounts you may be entitled to.
More Tips For Getting a Cheap Car Insurance Quote
- Check Insurance Rates Often – Before each renewal, shop your car insurance quote around. Services such as the expiry date register from Marsh’s Private Client Services (PCS) at www.marsh.ca/quote allow you to set a call reminder and never miss an opportunity to save. Even if you decide not to buy with PCS, requoting is easy with your relevant information already saved.
- Combine Your Insurance For Multi-Policy Discounts – A discount is offered by most insurers for having your home and auto coverage with the same company. Always look at your combined costs, as individual companies may be lower on either home or auto insurance, but it’s the total amount you pay that matters. This is a key discount in achieving a cheap car insurance quote.
- Enquire About Eligibility For Group/Preferred Insurance Rates – Insurance companies often offer group discounted rates to members of associations and employees of employer groups. These discounts will vary, but it is often worthwhile to explore as group rates are generally lower than retail rates.
- Consider Higher Deductibles – No one wants to pay higher deductibles in the case of an accident, but they do help lower your insurance premiums.
- Avoid Frequent Claims – These are generally flagged by insurers, with some underwriters refusing to renew policies with too many claims. Try to pay for smaller claims out-of-pocket or ignore purely cosmetic damage. Maintaining the cheapest auto insurance sometimes means paying a little more upfront.
- Keep Your Driving Record Clean – A clean record generally translates to lower insurance costs. Driving safely at all times, not only saves money, it saves lives.
- Check Insurance Premiums Before Deciding on Your Next Purchase – All cars are not equal in the eyes of insurers. Even automobiles with equal values can cost different amounts to insure due to greater instances of theft or cost to repair certain models. If you want cheap car insurance be aware of the cost difference to insure.
- Consider Insuring Young Dependent Drivers Only On the Less Expensive Car – Young drivers are considered high risk by insurance companies. Insuring them on cars that would be less expensive to repair will help ensure you find a cheap car insurance quote.
- Make Sure Your Records Are Accurate – Insurers base their insurance quotes on a number of factors including your claims history, motor vehicle record, and credit record (if permitted where you are). More often than we care to speculate, mistakes are made which can affect the quote being provided to you, so it is always in your best interest to check what your records for accuracy. Equifax and TransUnion are credit agencies that you can check your credit scores with. Most people overlook this advice when searching for the cheapest car insurance rate.
- Collision Coverage – Consider dropping this coverage if your car is older and no longer worth insuring in case of a loss. For example, if your car is only worth $1,000 and you have a $1,000 deductible, your net settlement amount after a “write-off” would be $0.
Remember to call Marsh’s Private Client Services at 1 877 476 6727 to help in maximizing auto insurance discounts and aid in your search for a cheap car insurance quote. Frequent requests for quotes are generally required to help find cheap car insurance, but remember to ask for identical limits, deductibles, and other policy terms when shopping around for quotes as you need to be comparing rates for the same coverage.
Please note that car insurance is not available in provinces where government auto insurance plans exist.